Fixed Income for CFA Level 1: Your Path to Bond Mastery
Hello, future finance wizards! In this article, we’ll explore the Fixed Income topic of the CFA Level 1 exam, guiding you through each reading to help you bond with bonds (pun intended!). So, let’s dive into the world of fixed income and uncover the secrets of these crucial financial instruments!
Embark on an intriguing exploration of fixed income securities, a critical player in the investment arena. This journey takes you through the basic characteristics of these securities, the diverse range of coupon structures, the legal, regulatory, and tax considerations, and finally, the adventurous terrain of contingency provisions.
- Basic Features of Fixed Income Securities: Grasp the fundamentals of bonds including key elements, different types of issuers, maturity dates, par value, coupon rates, currency denominations, and yield measures.
- Coupon Structures: Understand the extensive variety of coupon structures in the bond market, from bullet coupons to inverse floaters and index-linked bonds.
- Legal, Regulatory, and Tax Considerations: Familiarize yourself with global regulatory requirements of bonds, including domestic, foreign, Eurobonds, Global bonds, and how interest income and capital gains are taxed.
- Contingency Provisions: Venture into the world of bond indentures and contingency provisions, exploring issuer-exercisable options, bondholder-exercisable options, and alternatives to convertible bonds.
Unearth the secrets of fixed-income markets, dissecting everything from bond issuance to trading and funding. This includes a thorough survey of global fixed income markets, an exploration of primary and secondary bond markets, a look into government and related sectors’ bonds, corporate debt, structured financial instruments, and short-term funding for banks.
- Overview of Global Fixed Income Markets: Learn to identify bonds based on issuer, taxable status, credit quality, currency of issuance, original maturity, coupon structure, and indexing, while understanding the nuances of emerging and developed markets.
- Primary and Secondary Bond Markets: Grasp how bonds are issued, traded, and priced in both primary and secondary markets, covering public offerings to private placements.
- Bonds from Government and Government-related Sectors: Discover the specifics of bonds from sovereign to non-sovereign, quasi-government bonds, and the intriguing world of supranational bonds.
- Corporate Debt: Navigate the maze of corporate debt, mastering bilateral and syndicated loans, US and Euro commercial paper, and complex structures of corporate bonds.
- Structured Financial Instruments: Feast on the four courses of financial instruments: Capital Protected, Yield Enhancement, Participation, and Leveraged Instruments.
- Short-Term Funding for Banks: Decode the complicated jargon of retail deposits, certificates of deposit, reserve funds, interbank funds, and repurchase agreements.
Step into the realm of fixed-income valuation, where you’ll understand bond pricing, yield measures, interest rates, and yield spreads. This path will help you calculate bond prices, differentiate between full and flat prices, compare different bonds based on yield measures, and grasp the intricacies of yield spreads.
- Bond Prices and Time Value of Money: Learn the art of calculating yield-to-maturity (YTM) using a bond’s market price and understand the assumptions that underpin this calculation.
- Bond Prices: Quotes and Calculations: Distinguish between the full and flat prices of a bond, calculate these prices and accrued interest, and learn to estimate a bond’s price and market discount rate using matrix pricing.
- Bond Yield Measures: Understand how to compare different bond investment opportunities based on yield-to-maturity and effective yield, and delve into the yield measures for callable bonds, floating rate notes, and money market instruments.
- Maturity Structure of Interest Rates: Unravel the enigma of the term structure of interest rates, navigate through various yield curves, and learn to calculate forward rates and price bonds.
- Yield Spreads: Decode the components of a bond’s yield-to-maturity, discern the differences between macro and microeconomic influences on yield spreads, and engage in G-spread and I-spread calculations.
Unpack the captivating world of asset-backed securities in this topic. From the basic principles of securitisation to the intricate details of collateralised debt obligations, this journey will provide an in-depth understanding of various forms of asset-backed securities and their respective risks and rewards.
- How Securitisation Works: Learn the structure and protective measures in place for asset-backed securities (ABS) and delve into the details of covered bonds.
- Residential Mortgage Loans: Understand the fundamentals, key characteristics and types of residential mortgage loans including prime and subprime.
- Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities: Explore the different sectors of Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities (RMBS), the role of prepayment risk, and how risk management techniques make non-agency RMBS attractive to investors.
- Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities: Learn the distinct differences between Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities (CMBS) and residential MBS, with an emphasis on credit risk analysis and CMBS-specific features.
- Non-Mortgage Asset-Backed Securities: Get to grips with the nuances between amortising and non-amortising loans, and dive into the specifics of auto loan-backed securities and credit card receivable-backed securities.
- Collateralised Debt Obligations: Understand the composition of collateral debt obligations (CDOs) and the tiered structure of CDOs, including how returns are generated for different tranches.
- Covered Bonds: Discover the ins and outs of covered bonds, their extra protective measures for bondholders, and the different types of covered bonds and their respective default provisions.
Delve into the dynamic world of fixed-income risk and return, exploring the various factors that influence these investments and the tools used to assess and manage the associated risks. Grasp key concepts from sources of return to empirical duration, and learn how to navigate the complexities of fixed-income investments effectively.
- Sources of Return: Unpack the components of return in fixed-rate bonds, including coupon and principal payments, reinvestment returns, and potential gains or losses from bond sales.
- Macaulay Duration: Discover how to calculate the Macaulay duration and understand the duration gap’s significance in investment returns.
- Modified Duration and Money Duration: Learn about modified and money duration and the Price Value of a Basis Point (PVBP), critical elements in predicting bond price changes.
- Approximate Modified Duration and Convexity Adjustment: Learn how these calculations help estimate changes in bond price due to shifts in yield-to-maturity.
- Effective Duration and Key Rate Duration: Understand the nuances of effective and key rate duration, integral measures for bonds with embedded options and under varying yield curve scenarios.
- Duration of a Bond Portfolio: Explore how to calculate the duration of a bond portfolio using the Aggregated Cash Flows Approach and the Weighted Average Method.
- Factors that Influence Interest Rate Risks: Understand how time to maturity, coupon rate, and yield-to-maturity contribute to a bond’s interest rate risk.
- Empirical Duration: Differentiate between empirical and analytical duration, focusing on their role in measuring the sensitivity of a bond’s price to interest rate changes.
Embark on an engaging exploration of credit analysis, as we delve into the crucial elements of credit risk assessment and the factors that influence creditworthiness. From the basics of credit risks to the intricacies of sovereign and non-sovereign credit analysis, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of how to evaluate credit and navigate the world of corporate debt.
- Credit Risk: Learn the core aspects of credit risk, including default risk and loss severity, and how they interact with factors such as yield spreads and credit migration risk.
- Capital Structure and Seniority Rankings: Understand the intricate relationship between a company’s capital structure and credit risk, highlighting the difference between secured and unsecured debt.
- Credit Ratings and Ratings Agencies: Discover the role and limitations of credit rating agencies, including the concept of ‘notching’ and potential risks associated with credit ratings.
- Corporate Credit Analysis: Master the 4 ‘C’s of credit analysis – Capacity, Collateral, Covenants, and Character, to assess a company’s ability to fulfill its debt obligations.
- Corporate Credit Analysis (Ratios): Learn to use financial ratios, including profit and cash flow metrics and leverage and coverage ratios, to determine a company’s credit rating.
- Credit Yields and Spreads: Uncover the factors that influence credit yields and spreads and learn how to calculate bond price changes based on spread changes.
- Special Considerations of High Yield Credit Analysis: Understand the factors contributing to low ratings in high-yield corporate bonds and the considerations when analyzing their creditworthiness.
- Special Considerations of Sovereign and Non-Sovereign Credit Analysis: Explore the specifics of sovereign and non-sovereign debt analysis, including the evaluation of municipal bonds.
Wrapping Up: Mastering Fixed Income for CFA Level 1
And that’s a wrap – a comprehensive overview of the Fixed Income topic in the CFA Level 1 exam! Remember to stay curious, practice plenty of questions, and enjoy the fascinating world of fixed income securities. After all, who said bonding with bonds couldn’t be an exciting journey? Good luck, and may your newfound fixed income expertise lead you to CFA success!